July 8 & 9, 2014
Mothers Against Drunk Driving invites active judicial, prosecutorial, law enforcement and highway safety professionals to attend the upcoming No-Refusal Workshop to be held in Denver, Colorado on July 8 & 9, 2014. Applications must be returned no later than June 18, 2014.
Interested participants from NHTSA Regions 5, 6, and 8
(see below for eligible States) are requested to complete the attached application
. All travel and hotel expenses will be covered for selected participants.
Drivers impaired by alcohol have been, and continue to be, a major highway safety problem. In 2012, 10,322 people were killed in alcohol-impaired driving crashes, a 4.6% increase in deaths from 2011.
Arrested drunk drivers, particularly repeat offenders and individuals with high blood-alcohol concentrations frequently refuse to submit to chemical testing. In many states, because of light penalties for refusing, refusing drivers are rewarded with a high incidence of dismissed criminal charges.
The No-Refusal program is a criminal justice strategy that allows jurisdictions to quickly obtain search warrants to allow law enforcement to take blood samples from suspected impaired drivers who refuse to take a breath test.
- No-Refusal initiatives involve close coordination between law enforcement, prosecutors, and judges within a criminal justice system.
- The results of these practices are fewer trials and more convictions, particularly for repeat offenders and offenders with high BACs.
Participants and Venue:
- Workshop participants will be chosen from applications from judges, prosecutors, and law enforcement officials at the State and local level, including Traffic Safety Resource Prosecutors and Judicial Outreach Liaisons that are interested in implementing or can contribute to the discussion of a No-Refusal program. Participants and presenters will be selected through a cooperative process between MADD and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).
- Presentations will be conducted by prosecutors, judges, and law enforcement officials with expertise in No-Refusal programs and include strong participation from attendees.
- The No-Refusal Workshop will include approximately 85 attendees and presenters representing leadership in judicial, prosecutorial, and law enforcement fields.
- Develop a greater understanding of the impact of alcohol breath test refusals on drunk driving arrests and convictions.
- Impart a working knowledge of the legal perspectives associated with No-Refusal initiatives.
- Advance an understanding of procedures, methods, and tactics for the streamlined handling of matters related to the issuance of warrants and obtaining blood samples.
- Foster a discussion of the responses to the McNeely vs. Missouri Supreme Court decision.
- Cultivate No-Refusal program action steps to be put to use in participant’s jurisdictions.
Workshops will commence at 1:00pm on Tuesday, July 8, include a working dinner, and conclude at 12:00pm on Wednesday, July 9, 2014.
 NHTSA Regions 5, 6, and 8 include: IL, IN, MI, MN, OH, WI, LA, MS, NM, TX, OK, CO, ND, NV, SD, UT, WY