Law Enforcement Training: Response to and Investigation of Domestic Violence, Dating Violence, and Stalking [Michigan]
January 3-4, 2023
Tuesday, January 3: 8 am – 5 pm
Wednesday, January 4: 8 am – 12:45 pm
Host Agency: Northern Michigan Children's Assessment Center
Training Site: Kirkland Community College, Community Room A, Grayling, MI
Eligible for MCOLES credit.
Training Overview: The 12-hour no-cost training will focus on the unique needs of front-line officers, investigators, and street supervisors. An expert law enforcement officer, prosecutor, and domestic violence advocate will team-teach law enforcement to appropriately respond to and investigate domestic violence, dating violence, and stalking cases.
- Increase officer and victim safety, and increase offender accountability to prevent future abuse
- Identify interviewing, evidence gathering, and probable cause determination techniques to investigate and report Domestic Violence, Dating Violence, and Stalking crimes more effectively
- Identify liability issues for law enforcement agencies and apply practices to potentially decrease risk of lawsuits
- Understand dynamics of domestic violence
- Identify the unique needs of responding to and investigating cases involving underserved populations
- Identify the essential components of the decision to arrest
- Understand all aspects of protection orders
- Apply federal domestic violence laws